Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Road to Whistler

I'm spending way too much time at Tagoria.com!!!

Anyway, I've decided to tell you about my trip to Whistler, one of the best sun & ski resorts on the planet (and probably one of the most expensive, too). This is one of the major venues for the 2010 Winter Olympics and ParaOlympics. I had planned to do a whole series of pics as the drive up the coast is as spectacular as the surrounding mountains. Half way up the highway my camera started blinking that the batteries were dead. I changed them. Same thing. Thinking it might be a problem with the camera, we stopped at a shop in Squamish and I forked over about $18 for extras. They didn't work either! Definitely the camera. Very depressing. It wasn't until I got home that night and plugged the recharger into a different outlet that I discovered it wasn't the batteries at all. It was the bloody wall plug I'd used the night before...which also meant I'd forked out $18 for 2 dead NiMH Duracells from the brand new Shopper's drug store...

Anyway, I did get a few shots before the batteries died. Some of them were taken through the windshield of a car going well over the speed limit, so take this into account when viewing. The lake shots were taken at Porteau Cove Provincial Park. There is a beautiful campground there. If planning to camp at any BC Provincial Park, book well in advance and have your credit card ready.



The very high (450 m), bare stone cliff is a very popular climbing wall, experts only. You can also climb up the back end to reach the top. Clearly marked paths, but still steep and not for the faint of heart...literally. Google Stawamus Chief Provincial Park for info. Might as well check out Pemberton info as well. It's world famous for the eagles and bears that enjoy salmon fishing priveleges. Cameras are de rigeur, but leave your weapons at home. Canadian folk don't take kindly to anyone messing with the wildlife. You won't be invited back EVER and the monetary penalties are very high, but still way too low in my humble opinion.


That said, British Columbia is a truly spectacular place to live and I love it here.

No comments: