Saturday, September 15, 2012

A Typical Saturday Morning in My Neighbourhood

I know, I'm cheating, but I posted this in Okara's Single's Survivors Guide too, because it fits and because it's too nice a day to sit at the computer.

So have a quick read then go out and enjoy the weather while it lasts:

I really cannot function without that first fantastic cup of coffee in the morning so waking up to discover I was out of milk was rather horrifying. Actually, I use Silk which is an organic soya product. A quick shower and I was off up the hill to the local Supervalu - the only store in my part of the West End that sells Silk. The weather is fantastic btw!

Two hours later, after a stop at Denny's for pancakes, bacon and scrambled eggs with cheddar (not a normal haunt of mine but I had a craving for bacon), a stop at the Comox Street farmers market and another stop at Shoppers Drugmart for eggs (much less pricey than elsewhere) I realized I had forgotten the Silk and had to slog up the hill again.  

Here is a picture of what I bought at the farmers market.



The place was packed with people lining up to buy local organic produce, honey, soap, artisan breads, organic meat and sausage, jewelry, and checking out the latest information on the City of Vancouver's food waste collection service.  I picked up a small block of beeswax for my sewing kit - not that I do much sewing lately - but running the thread through beeswax makes it a lot easier to get the thread through the eye of the needle. As an aside, have you noticed that as you get older the eyes of needles get much smaller and the thread is really really thick? 

The mixed shard and beets came to five bucks, the buckwheat honey and beeswax was six. I found a great recipe for a raw beet salad and the greens can be steamed and served with a drizzle of vinegar, a pinch of sea salt, pepper, and finely chopped garlic sautéed in butter and/or a few tablespoons of white wine or stock .

The prices at the farmers market tend to be a little higher but if your budget is limited it's still worth it to pick up a few items. After all, you are supporting local small businesses, the food is freshly picked and besides that it gets you off your duff and away from your computer for an hour or two. That is a lot cheaper than a gym membership you don't use anyway ;)

Now I'm going to just sit back and relax and enjoy a great cup of coffee. 

Damn! I forgot the onions!